- Post 12 November 2008
- Hits: 9387
Cathay Pacific Airways announced its latest innovation to help simplify the travel experience for passengers, with the launch of a new Self-Print Boarding Pass service for departures from Hong Kong International Airport with effect from Monday, 3 November. Passengers will be able to check in 48 hours in advance for flights departing after 03:00 (Hong Kong time) that day.
This new service will allow passengers travelling on Cathay Pacific flights from Hong Kong International Airport, and who check in using the airline’s Online Check-In facility, to print their own boarding pass at home or in the office - on A4 paper in either black and white or colour - using a normal printer.
The printout will be accepted as a bona fide boarding pass at the airport which means passengers using the service will no longer need to queue at check-in counters to get their boarding pass.
At present the Self-Print Boarding Pass initiative is only available to passengers departing Hong Kong who are travelling point to point on Cathay Pacific flights. Those with onward connections will not be able to choose the self-print option and will need to proceed to the check-in counters at the airport to collect the boarding passes for their Hong Kong departure and connecting flights.
Passengers who are eligible to use the Self-Print Boarding Pass will see a “Print Boarding Pass” button on screen after completing the Online Check-In process. The printout will include a lounge pass, if applicable, and details of how to proceed at the airport.
The procedures differ for those without checked baggage and those carrying bags that need to be checked in.
Passengers without checked baggage
• Passengers with the Self-Print Boarding Pass can go directly to the Immigration channel at Hong Kong International Airport.
• A security check will be conducted by airport security personnel before the airport restricted area to ensure the name on the Self-Print Boarding Pass is an EXACT MATCH with the name on the passenger’s travel document. If there is any discrepancy between the two the passenger will be required to go to the check-in counter to be issued with a traditional boarding pass.
• After being cleared at the security check, passengers can then proceed through baggage security screening and Immigration as normal.
• Passengers need to be at the boarding gate Service Desk at least 30 minutes before the flight departs to ensure all documents are valid for travel.
Passengers with baggage to check in
• Passengers with the Self-Print Boarding Pass should go to the designated Self Check-In Bag Drop counters to drop their bags off 45 minutes before flight departure.
• At this point Cathay Pacific staff will conduct a check to ensure all documents are valid for travel.
• Passengers can then go to the Immigration channel. A security check will conducted by airport security personnel before the airport restricted area to ensure the name on the Self-Print Boarding Pass is an EXACT MATCH with the name on the passenger’s travel document.
• After being cleared at the security check, passengers can then proceed through baggage security screening and Immigration as normal, and on to the boarding gate.
Cathay Pacific Director Service Delivery Ivan Chu said: “We are pleased to be able to offer yet another service aimed at smoothing the travel process for our passengers. The Self-Print Boarding Pass facility gives our customers more freedom and flexibility when travelling on our flights from Hong Kong International Airport. Together with online booking and our Online Check-In service, passengers can now manage every stage of the journey through our website and enjoy a smoother experience at the airport.”
Due to operational considerations the Self-Print Boarding Pass option is not open to a number of categories of passengers, including:
• Passengers required to present a credit card for verification at check-in
• Unaccompanied minors
• Passengers requesting wheelchair services
• Passengers paying the applicable child or senior citizen fare for their journey
• Infants travelling on infant tickets
• Those who purchase air tickets in conjunction with ferry tickets
However, these passengers will still be able to use Online Check-In in the normal way.
Full details of the new Self-Print Boarding Pass service can be found at the airline’s website, www.cathaypacific.com/selfprintboardingpass
|To use the Self-Print Boarding Pass, passengers first need to check in online at cathaypacific.com and then use the “Print Boarding Pass” button.|
|The one-page printed boarding pass features clear instructions for passengers on what to do at the airport. If passengers are eligible to use Cathay Pacific’s lounges in Hong Kong, a Lounge Invitation will be printed on the same page.|